I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Shelf-Full of Free Books from Kaplan

Just like last semester, Kaplan is giving away a shelf-load of free books this week. So far, they are only on iBooks and my source says there are 130 of them (so did the Kaplan promo page, until they took it down and password protected it so that no one can see it anymore). The promo page said these are supposed to show up in other stores as well, but I would not count on them all being in every store (last time, only iBooks had the full 100 free books).

I've been skimming thru the titles and I've already found more than 55 that were not on the sale last time, so even if you got in on that one, you'll want to check this one out. Books range from college prep, from getting into to getting thru grad school, law school, medical/nursing or an MBA, to memoirs (mostly medical fields), math for Moms and Dads to getting an interview. I suspect almost everyone can find at least one book they would enjoy on "the list." There is even Tribal Knowledge, a business book that focuses just on Starbucks Coffee, which should have a very wide appeal.

To find the free books: open iBooks, enter "Kaplan" (some are Kaplan Publishing, some are Kaplan, Inc, that I noticed, so the one word should find both) in the search box and browse thru the pages. Be careful: about the third page, I started running into books that were not free (of course, those first couple of pages were mostly books from the last sale, that I already had). By several pages in, the free books are just scattered here and there, but it pays to just keep scrolling thru to find the gems in the list. Remember -- you are not likely to get a refund from Apple if you accidentally buy a book at full price (and I saw books as high as $35.99 when browsing, with most of them around $10). The only confirmation you get that you'll be charged is that the green "get book" secondary prompt is instead "buy book" for one that isn't free.

I searched Barnes and Noble and Sony - both have a couple of hundred books from Kaplan, but none are free right now. Amazon has two! All the ones from the last sale are missing, so I'm wondering if they have all been pulled in anticipation of a price change. Last time, it was several days to a week before the free books started popping up in other places, so I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I spot them elsewhere. Meanwhile, those of you with iPads, enjoy!

Update: As is pointed out in the comments, Kaplan has (finally) set up a webpage for this promotion and it looks like Kindle books are on the way!