I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Kindle Book Lending Now Available

It's Official!

Amazon just posted an Official Announcement that Kindle book lending is now available. Detailed instructions are on the Kindle Help pages and the recipient does not have to own a Kindle (but does need email and access to the web (on a device that lets the Kindle for Web app run) or a device with a Kindle app. In general, the terms are the same as the heralded lending on the nook:

Eligible Kindle books can be loaned once for a period of 14 days. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle -- Kindle books can also be read using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Not all books are lendable -- it is up to the publisher or rights holder to determine which titles are eligible for lending. The lender will not be able to read the book during the loan period.

I just checked thru my own library (the Manage My Kindle page is where you set up the loan) and most of the ones I've picked up lately are apparently non-loanable (shock! the same publishers that raised prices also don't like lending!). Out of the first page of titles, only five are lendable (and all but one were free books).