I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Friday, July 6, 2012

Free App - Evolution (I)

Evolution: Making Sense of Life, an app from Roberts & Company Publishers, is free in the iTunes store (requires iPad/iThing with iOS 5.1). This is a tie-in to their new textbook, Evolution: Making Sense of Life ($100 paperback pre-order or you can pre-order from the publisher for $80). I've been trying to get the app to let me buy it for two days and it is finally working -- I suspect it's a pricing mistake, though, so don't wait too long on it. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it looks like it should be good, especially if it follows the textbook.
App Description
Science writer Carl Zimmer and evolutionary biologist Douglas Emlen have teamed up to write a textbook intended for biology majors that will inspire students while delivering a solid foundation in evolutionary biology.

Zimmer brings the same story-telling skills he displayed in The Tangled Bank, his 2009 non-majors textbook that the Quarterly Review of Biology called “spectacularly successful.”

Emlen, an award-winning evolutionary biologist at the University of Montana, has infused Evolution: Making Sense of Life with the technical rigor and conceptual depth that today’s biology majors require.

Students will learn the fundamental concepts of evolutionary theory, such as natural selection, genetic drift, phylogeny, and coevolution.
Get the free app from iTunes.