I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kobo Announces Three New Readers

The Amazon announcement is still an hour off, so I've been surfing the web, looking for leaks (such as the new Kindle commercial). I found rumors that Barnes & Noble will be bringing out a new tablet this fall, although it may just join their current offerings, rather than replacing the original Color and current Tablet, both of which are still available, and across the big news from Kobo. They scooped Amazon by announcing three new reader devices, two of which are eInk based: Kobo Glo ($129.99), a side-lit 6" eInk reader similar to the nook Glow, and Kobo Mini ($79.99), a 5" touchscreen reader for those who want the most portability - just don't try to walk around with it in your pocket as shown on their web page or you'll probably break the screen. The Kobo Arc ($199.99), looks a lot more like a nook Tablet than the old Kobo Vox, which I thought was a very disappointing tablet; the specs on this new tablet look like they may have a winner, this time. One great feature of the Kobo Arc will be full access to the Google Play store, which B&N and Amazon both lock you out of.

There are also some accessories announced, but nothing can be pre-ordered yet; after my very bad experience pre-ordering a Vox (because they are in Canada, many US credit card companies can stop transactions; despite many confirmations from Kobo, my Vox never shipped and I had to get someone in the company to assist personally to get one here), I'll hold off ordering one until they are actually shipping. I know I used to be able to buy Kobo's readers at Books-A-Million, locally, but they seem to have discontinued them and have adopted B&N's nook as their ereader of choices (which seems to be a very bad business choice, since that would then give you much faster access to B&N's ebookstore and not BAM's), so mail-order will probably be the best way to get a reader in the US. Kobo is starting to partner with independent bookstores, but I don't know if any local stores will be signed up. Those of you in Canada and Japan will probably be able to find the devices in local retail stores.

Back to those Amazon rumors: some people think they saw an iPad size Kindle tablet in the commercial that was leaked, but it really looks more like an ultraBook (there are shots with a keyboard and a mouse). Others are talking about an Amazon phone, which would probably be a great mid-range Android based phone, that (like the Kindle Fire), doesn't try to scoop up the high end/business market, but will be an irresistible choice for those who have a lot of content in the Amazon Cloud.