I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Monday, November 28, 2011

Bargain Book (Kindle) and Bargain App (Kindle Fire/Android)

I don't know about you, but I've spent the day trolling thru the selections on the CyberMonday Kindle Deal. I've made a few notes on my original post of some good bargains I found, but wanted to highlight this one in a separate post, for those who might not see my updates.

All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics ($5.99), by James Herriot, is an impossibly long title, but accurately describes what you get - the first three titles from this great author and less than half the sale price from yesterday. I had the first one here as a review copy, but jumped all over this one and also picked up his other two books that are on sale: Every Living Thing and The Lord God Made Them All.

My old paperback copies are long worn out and I had even started looking for replacements before the Kindle came out, so I'm very happy to have found these at such a reasonable price (the entire series for than the list price of just one).
Book Description
Timeless stories from a country veterinarian about the animals and people that shape life in a sleepy English town

Perhaps better than any other writer, James Herriot reveals the ties that bind us to the natural world. Collected here are three of his masterpieces—All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful—which have been winning over animal lovers everywhere for almost fifty years. From his night visits to drafty barns during freezing northern England winters, to the beautiful vitality of rural life in the summertime, to the colorful menagerie of animals—and their owners—that pass through his office, Herriot vividly evokes the daily challenges and joys that come with being a veterinarian.

Witty and heartwarming, these classic books also feature an original introduction from the author’s son, Jim Wight, and bonus archival photos courtesy of the Herriot estate.

I also wanted to let those who need a solution for accessing their home or office computer remotely know that LogMeIn Ignition is currently half-price, $14.99, in the Amazon Appstore. I know it sounds like quite a bit, but the iPad edition is $40 and the Amazon/Android version usually $30. I've been using the free version of LogMeIn for years and love it (it crashes less and stays connected to the internet better than any other I've tried, although I'd still be using pcAnywhere if I still had fixed IP). I've already tried it out on the Kindle Fire (works great) and since I got it in the Appstore, I'll be able to load it on my phone and Asus Tablet (but not iPad) without further payment.
Book Description
LogMeIn Ignition lets you to take your home and office computers with you wherever you go. Directly control your Mac or PC, all your programs, and all your files from you Android mobile. Need to access an important presentation or document from your work computer while out of the office? Just tap open LogMeIn Ignition. Remotely access your computer as if you're sitting right in front of it. Run any business application like CRM, ERP, Salesforce, or Microsoft Office from your mobile device. Have your files and contacts with you at all times. Give colleagues or family IT support without going anywhere near their machine.

LogMeIn Ignition works on Android 1.5 and higher with LogMeIn software on your computer (LogMeIn Free or Pro), and has been optimized for Android tablets. The app offers intuitive and flexible navigation modes, including screen and mouse moves. Search computers to quickly locate which machine you want. Be in several places at once using the multiple monitor switch. Access the full onscreen keyboard to work remotely on all of your computers. Stream sound from your Windows-based PC using LogMeIn Pro. Set the app to Wake-On-LAN.