I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Will you stop writing about ...? (and some free music)

I've received a few emails lately and one recent comment asking if I was going to keep writing about a particular subject that the reader didn't find interesting or helpful. These have run the gamut from Kindle books to Kindle special offers to Games (including Kindle game or just games in general), but also there are the occasional complaints about the types of books (whether Christian Fiction, LGBT erotica or just romance in general and one recently political offering, although the first two are the most often commented upon). The answer, of course, is that yes, I'll just keep writing about what I find interesting. I try to highlight all the free books in the major (and some minor) ebookstores that are either under copyright (thus, are special deals from publishers) or backlist books from authors who are still writing. Some of these will have subject matter that doesn't appeal to everyone (or even to me, in some cases).

I stumble across free music or game deals now and then and I write about them because I find them interesting (and I know that some of you do, also). Audiobooks are "books" for some, so are included (even though I greatly prefer the printed word) and some movies might get mentioned (if there is a great deal on one that is also in print or just because Amazon wants to give us all some free credit to try out their store). A few of the deals won't be available to those outside the USA (this seems to be the case with Kindle games/apps and all the movie/tv/music downloads), while I also may mention sales or that are only applicable to those outside the US -- I have readers in several countries, with the US comprising the greatest portion, of course, but which includes Canada, Australia, India, the UK and more. Those outside the US do often see different prices (and miss out on the US deals), so the small portion of non-US deals that those in the US see seems like a fair trade-off.

I hate to lose readers because I mention subjects they don't find appealing, but if I stripped out everything that at least one person objected to, there would not be much left. Those with only a nook don't much care about the Kindle posts, while those with only a Kindle can't enjoy some of the DRM'd EPUBs that get mentioned (although both could read the other format on their PC's, I do understand not wanting to do so ... it's one reason I eventually caved in and bought a couple of EPUB based readers for our family).

In the end, though, I will write for myself and hope that those of you along for the ride find most of the content enjoyable. I can suggest that you consider using an RSS reader or follow on twitter, if you don't want to read directly on the website - both will let you see the post titles, so you can decide if the subject is interesting before you click thru to read the post. Twitter can even be configured to notify you via text message on you phone, every time a new post goes up and there are some RSS readers that will let you set up filters, if you want to strip out posts with certain tags or words in the subject. I always try to add appropriate tags/labels to every post and include a title that lets you know generally what a post is about: "KSO" for Kindle Special Offers, "Game" or "App" on the Kindle, Android or other games/apps, "Free Book" if that is what is contained (along with platform, at least at the point the post goes up, such as Kindle, nook, EPUB, noDRM, etc) or "Bargain" if I am writing about Kindle books.

Thanks for reading and here are some more free samplers at Amazon, to listen while you read (here or on your Kindle). I can guarantee that at least some of it I like and some I don't, but that least a few of you would have differing opinions on which was which!
This month is also the big music iTunes festival in London. Even if I could win free tickets, I couldn't get over there to attend, but I don't have to - click the link below and you can listen free each night on your PC/Mac or download the app for your iPad or iPhone, which not only gets you the live stream, but access to all the past performances, as well.
iTunes, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store