I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Friday, June 10, 2011

25 Books for 25 Cents

Note: Just to clarify for those new to ebooks. Books with Adobe DRM will not work on Kindle. They will work on practically all other ereaders, your PC, iPad, iThing and most other smartphones.

Unbridled Books is having a big ebook sale and has 25 titles at 25 cents each (that's $6.25 total for those non-math majors amongst you), thru tomorrow (Jun 11). There are several interesting looking titles, so I'm going to grab them all, rather than miss a few because I wanted to look at samples first. The only "problem" is that they are Google EBooks, which means Adobe ADE DRM, plus you have to buy these from one of the bookstores that sells Google EBooks. Luckily, there is a list of independent booksellers that have started selling these (so that they can compete against the megastores with their own proprietary readers and DRM). None of the stores are in my state, though, so I picked the one in Palmer, Alaska. I have a friend that is moving back to that area (and his son is in the AK Highway Patrol), so there is a slight chance I'll manage to visit it in person, some day.

The process to get these into my cart was a bit tedious - I had to search for each one by title (the links below will take you to descriptions and reviews at Amazon) on the indie bookstore's website. For the store I picked, it always returned a paper book listing; I clicked for the Google eBooks listing instead, then added it to my cart. Repeat 24 more times, then click Checkout (verify your total is no more than $6.25 at this point). You then have to both create an account with the bookseller and link that account to your Google account; the steps to this vary by store, but you should be led thru the process after clicking on Checkout. Once this is done, you'll have to enter payment info (the store I picked was credit card only; some may accept PayPal, but I have no idea how to find one before checking out). Just a hint: be sure to create your account at the store and log in, before trying the checkout; my first try didn't work at all (even though I entered all the billing info) and I had to redo the checkout process after creating an account (everything stayed in my shopping cart, though, so I didn't have to do that part all over again).

The 25 book titles being offered are as follows:

Vanishing by Candida Lawrence
Shimmer by Eric Barnes
The Distance Between Us by Masha Hamilton
Wolf Point by Edward Falco
Small Acts of Sex and Electricity by Lisa Haines
The Unnatural History of Cypress Parish by Elise Blackwell
The Green Age of Asher Witherow by M. Allen Cunningham
Breath and Bones by Susann Cokal
Conscience Point by Erica Abeel
The Islands of Divine Music by John Addiego
The Wonder Singer by George Rabasa
Hick by Andrea Portes
The Phantom Limbs of the Rollow Sisters by Timothy Schaffert
Sometimes We're Always Real Same-Same” by Mattox Roesch
The Evolution of Shadows by Jason Quinn Malott
The Good Doctor Guillotin by Marc Estrin
The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel
Captivity by Deborah Noyes
Taroko Gorge by Jacob Ritari
Rain Village by Carolyn Turgeon
Song of the Crow by Layne Maheu
The Pirate’s Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson ($0.25)
Panopticon by David Bajo
Stranger Here Below by Joyce Hinnefeld
The Journal of Antonio Montoya by Rick Collignon

Note that I am starting to see these drop in price to 25 cents at Amazon. Well, at least one has, so far! So, feel free to keep reporting the sale prices, as perhaps more of these will drop by tomorrow!