I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kobo WiFi Reader only $99!

Thru tomorrow, you can pick up a Kobo WiFi Reader at Borders.com or your local Borders store (print this coupon to take with you). It's not as versatile as the Kindle, in many ways (no web browser, no music, dictionary is limited to Kobo/Borders books), but this is a good price on a decent reader that will give you access to public library books in EPUB format and let you read any epubs you pick up elsewhere (other than the B&N nookbooks, which use a proprietary DRM scheme). You can use SD cards with the Kobo (up to 4GB), so you are not limited by the 1GB of free memory on the device. Just the thing for some kids, too, I think, as there is no need for parental controls as there is with a Kindle (I was prompted for a name and password when trying to "buy" a free book, so assume that will hold true even after syncing it to your account).

There is a choice of fonts and sizes (and your choice is remembered, unlike on my older Sony reader), although they don't go as large as the Kindle's and the writing is quite faint at the smaller size (so, not as good for those with reading issues that require large sizes and very dark text). I have an original Kobo and the main difference, other than color, is the addition of wireless to access the Borders bookstore. If you are in Canada or just prefer Kobo's own bookstore, you can sync to the Kobo desktop software instead and you'll access the Kobo store and your bookshelf there, instead. Personally, I just keep my books in Calibre (even DRM'd ones, even though Calibre can't read them) and use it to manage the books on my Kobo. I am tempted, though, to get one of these while it is on sale (too bad the lavender reader is white and silver on the front, but the black ones is a monotone that won't distract from reading).

I asked in my local store - if you keep the box and receipt, they should allow you to bring it back for a full refund in the first 30 days (this is generally NOT true online) and they are planning to honor any exchanges for defects in the first year right in the store (or for two years, if you buy the $50 extended warranty/case/screen cleaner bundle that also has a free coffee coupon inside).

If you are in the local store, don't forget to print this coupon for 33% off any item (other than a Kobo reader or ebook) ... I use mine in the cafe, if there isn't anything else that grabs me.