I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Under the Dome -- ASIN Change -- Old Listing no Longer Valid

I was checking my pre-ordered books this evening and found that the listing for Under the Dome, by Stephen King (December 24, 2009), has been changed. The ASIN (the Amazon equivalent of a product number or digital ISBN) that I used earlier in the month is no longer valid. This is the second time the ASIN has changed for this title. I'd prefer to use the current ASIN, so that when I look at the book in the Kindle store, I can tell when (or if) I ordered it -- when the ASIN keeps changing, I can't do this (looking up the book from the Manage My Kindle page just gives you a "404 Document Not Found" message). I've had this happen on one or two books in the past (when the author pulled the book from the store completely; usually even books pulled by the publisher for reformatting retain the same ASIN), but I was also a bit worried that I would not get the book at all, since this one hasn't released yet and I don't know how an invalid ASIN would work - I might never get the book and the price is guaranteed to increase on the release date.

So, I canceled my pre-order (again) and re-ordered it today. The price is still $7.99, so there was no penalty for doing so. I don't know that this is necessary, but I do recommend that you check you order and see if the ASIN is still valid. To do this, first click on the Manage My Kindle page, then locate your order, under the "Open Orders" banner. Click on the link that says "View details" and then on the link for the book itself. If it shows the book info page, you are all set. If not, then you can cancel the book from the "View details" page and then click on the link above to find the new listing and order it again. In fact, you can put the order in even before you cancel the old one (but do remember to cancel), since Amazon doesn't see these as being for the same book.