I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Monday, November 30, 2009

Free Book - The Purification Ceremony

The Purification Ceremony, by Mark T Sullivan, is out of print, but has been made available by the author at Smashwords. Normally $6.99, you can pick it up for free if you'll share your (account) email address with the author. This 1996 book was an Edgar Awards finalist, won the W.H. Smith Award for best “new talent” author, and was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times. A bestselling thriller, it has been translated into fourteen languages.

Book Description
At a young age in the Maine woods, Diana Jackman learned to move freely in the wilderness, to sense a world invisible to most. A natural tracker from

a long line of shamans, healers, and hunters--an estranged wife and mother--she has returned to the woods to find again a place of magic...and death.

Eight hunters have gathered on an isolated estate in Bristish Columbia to track record book whitetail dear. But someone else is watching the hunting party--an insane and violent force of nature, hiding in the blinding whiteness of the Canadian winter. And now the hunters themselves have become the game.

For the first time in her life, Diana Jackman will know what it is to be prey.

To survive she will have to rely on her father's teachings, and set out alone to hunt the hunter.
This is the first of six books he'll be giving away, all for the cost of your email address. He explanation, from his website:
If you read one of my stories of suspense and intrigue and do not enjoy it, you have not spent a dime, and I hope you’ll try another. They’re all different.

And if you read another one and like it, awesome. You are still under no obligation to pay me anything, nor do I expect it.

But if you do like my books, and if you feel so inclined, you may return to my download page at www.SmashWords.com --my very cool partner in this experiment in new media publishing -- and send me a donation equal to what you think the experience of reading the novel was worth. Half of every donation will in turn be donated to non-profits that promote reading and writing.

Now you might give a plug nickel for my writing or my plotlines and that’s cool. As my grandmother used to say, “One man’s honey is another woman’s vinegar. “ But if you do like my stories and want to help promote literacy, I suggest a donation somewhere on a sliding scale of between $5 and $10.
...
You’re asking: What is there to stop me from downloading one of Sullivan’s books, liking it, but then not sending him a donation?

Nothing. And you know what? That’s cool too. I’m just happy you enjoyed my storytelling, and I hope you come back to read another free book next month.