I've moved!

I've moved!

Thanks for stopping by, but it appears you are using a (very) old address for my blog. I've moved to a Wordpress site and you'll need to update your bookmarks for Books on the Knob

I've moved!

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Free Ebook: Burnt Shadows

Burnt Shadows ($24.66 Hardcover; $10.29 Paperback, April 28; not yet available on Kindle), by Kamila Shamsie, has been shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction 2009. The novel traces the "devastating legacy of the 20th century from Nagasaki to Guantanamo Bay through the experiences of two families – one from the West, one from the East." The cover at the left is the UK cover - I like it quite a bit more than the US cover (shown if you follow the above links to the Amazon site). As a promotion for the Orange Prize competition, Bloomsbury is offering a 24 Hour Free Promotional Download (PDF only). The download says it is for UK residents only, but it works worldwide. No doubt the iPhone download will only work in the UK. This free promotional download will be available until 12 noon BST 23 April 2009.

Edited to add: This PDF is one of those that is nearly impossible to convert or read on an ereader that natively supports PDF, due to it's formatting and watermarks. Plan on reading it on your computer. I've picked up an ASUS 1000HE Netbook for that and checking email when away from my desk; I'll include some picks and my impressions vs the Kindle soon.